Township municipal offices are located at 271 Clarksville Road, West Windsor, NJ 08550.
West Windsor Township [†] was incorporated in 1797 and encompassed seven hamlets: Port Mercer, Penn's Neck, Clarksville, Princeton Junction/Berrien City, Grover's Mill, Dutch Neck and Edinburg. Surrounding these seven hamlets was a prosperous farming community, which was the Township�s main economic driver until the 20th Century.
During World War II, farmers in West Windsor were producing tomatoes, which would be placed on a train and shipped to the Campbell�s factory in Camden as well as milk, which was sent to Trenton via the trolley whose right- of-way is now delineated by the high-tension power lines. In the 1960�s, 65% of the Township was still being actively farmed.
By 1978 just over half the Township�s land was engaged in farming. A total of 8,955 acres were farmland assessed, of which, 2,712 acres were owner-operated and the remaining 6,243 acres were leased.2 Less than twelve resident farmers existed in the Township. Corn, wheat and soybeans were the predominate crops during the 1970�s. When interviewed, farmers stated that they needed a minimum of 100 acres to successfully produce fruits and/or vegetables or a minimum of 500 acres to produce grain.
Nearby Towns: Cranbury Twp • East Windsor Twp • Former Princeton Boro • Former Princeton Twp • Hamilton Twp • Hightstown Boro • Municipality of Princeton • Plainsboro Twp • Robbinsville Twp •