Glen Ridge Borough Hall is located at 825 Bloomfield Avenue, Glen Ridge, NJ 07028.
Glen Ridge was originally settled as a community containing both homes and industry. The Borough was incorporated in 1895. In 1909, the Borough prepared a guide to the development of Glen Ridge with the assistance of John Nolen, a distinguished pioneer in the field of city planning. The general goals established in that report provided the framework for development of the Borough as a residential community of primarily single family homes.
One of the first comprehensive zoning ordinances in New Jersey was adopted by Glen Ridge in 1921. Four years later, An Ordinance Relating to the Laying Out, Opening and Improving of Streets to be Dedicated for Public Use was adopted. The goals and policies established in the 1909 Borough report were later reinforced through the adoption of a comprehensive plan for the Borough prepared by Scott Bagby in 1948.
In 1895 the population of Glen Ridge totaled 1,644 persons. By 1920 the population had grown to 4,620 persons. The growth of the Borough was precipitated by the advent of two rail lines that provided easy commuting access to both Newark and New York. During the 1920's, Glen Ridge experienced its greatest period of growth, increasing to 7,365 persons by 1930. Despite a slight loss of population during the Depression, growth continued after 1940 with the population peaking in 1970 with 8,518 persons. Since then, the Borough has experienced a modest decline in population.
Nearby Towns: Bloomfield Twp • Clifton City • East Orange City • Montclair Twp • Newark City • Nutley Twp • Passaic City • Rutherford Boro • Totowa Boro • Township of South Orange Vlg • Verona Township • Wallington Boro • West Orange Twp •