Berlin Borough Hall is located at 59 South White Horse Pike, Berlin, NJ 08009; phone: 856-767-7777.
Long-A-Coming, the original name of Berlin Borough, began as a small, eighteenth century village fronting the White Horse Pike before the railroad era. The village's name has been attributed to the Indian name, Lonaconing (meaning "where many paths or waters meet") as well as to the village's distance from Philadelphia, which made it "long-a-coming." The early village was not unknown to travelers, as its location halfway between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Absecon Island, New Jersey, made it a popular rest stop for those taking the stage or their own means of transportation between the two destinations. The popularity of travel to Atlantic City, envisioned as a health resort by Dr. Jonathan Pitney in 1845, had a direct influence on the development of railroads in southern New Jersey. On March 19, 1852, the Camden and Atlantic Railroad company was chartered by the New Jersey Legislature. In October, the sixteen and a half-mile single track laid by that company from Cooper's Point in Camden, through Haddonfield, to Long-A-Coming was formally opened. The line was completed to the Absecon Island, along the Atlantic Ocean, on July 4, 1854, and on that same day, the first trains ran from Camden to Absecon. This event made the Camden and Atlantic Railroad line the first to be constructed in New Jersey that traversed the State and connected to the ocean.