The Franklin-Rosemary District [†], Chapel Hill's first local historic district, was established in 1976. Its long history and development are closely tied to the growth and development of the University of North Carolina since its opening in 1795. The single family homes, multi-family and fraternal residences, and institutional buildings in the neighborhood represent a broad complement of architectural styles spanning more than two centuries. Nineteenth century Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, and Queen Anne buildings-as well as vernacular farmhouses—were joined by numerous bungalows and Colonial Revival style houses in the early twentieth century. Frame houses with deep and wide front porches are most prevalent but the district also includes several brick and stucco buildings. A mature tree canopy and low fieldstone walls unify the streetscapes. The district also includes part of the commercial area that developed along Franklin Street at the northern edge of the UNC campus.
† Chapel Hill Historic District Commission, Design Guidelines for the Chapel Hill Historic Districts, 2002, townhall.townofchapelhill.org, accessed September, 2021.
Boundary Street • Cobb Terrace • Cottage Lane • Franklin Street East • Friendly Lane • Glenburnie Street • Henderson Street • Hillsborough Street • Hooper Lane • North Street • Park Place • Pickard Lane • Senlar Road • Spring Lane