The Carthage City Hall is located at 326 Grant Street, Carthage MO 64836.
Carthage was founded in 1842 high on the south bank of the Spring River which winds its way through southwest Missouri. The town was carefully laid out in that same year by Abel Landers, George Baker and John Plumber, commissioners appointed by the County Court. The irregular lines created at the intersection of Howard and Grand, and on Fourth Street are the results of discrepancies in this survey. The original tract of land, which was covered with trees, underbrush and prairie grass, was approximately 320 acres with the highest point being reserved for the county courthouse. Today, the central clock tower turrets and four corner towers of the present Jasper County Courthouse, 1895, designed by R.A. Orlopp Jr. in the Romanesque Revival style, command the immediate attention of those who travel to Carthage.
By the 1860s Carthage had a population of 400-500. Sixty-one homes were situated near the courthouse square. The majority of structures at the time were part of Judge John R. Chenault's holdings which covered more than 80 acres.
The years 1875-1905 saw the development of a new economic base for Carthage, founded in the mines and quarries; the town boomed as evidenced by the large, splendid homes built during this period.