Photo: Homes on East Seminary Street, Liberty Historic District, Liberty, IN The Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013. Photograph by Carol Gregg Abell, 2012, for nomination document, Lincoln Street Historic District, NR# 13001012, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places.
Liberty Town Hall is located at 1 South Fairground Street, Liberty, IN 47353.
Liberty was originally platted with sixty-four lots surrounding the courthouse square. At the time of incorporation in 1836, the village was home to fifty-three residents. As the town grew, people built homes on roads/streets that led from the center of the town. Indeed, Liberty had achieved such size that in 1848, the Liberty-College Corner Turnpike was constructed as part of a larger road that connected Fort Wayne to the Oxford Road (originating in Ohio). It was the first state-funded improved road in the county, providing much needed access from rural farms to the county-seat, and on to larger markets. This road eventually became part of the Liberty-Brownsville Turnpike, a busy thoroughfare that served the southeastern part of the state. By 1849, Liberty boasted 110 houses containing 370 residents, as well as numerous civic and religious facilities.