Bargersville Town Hall is located at 24 North Main Street, Bargersville, IN 46106.
Phone: (317) 422-5115.
The Town of Bargersville [†] is located in western Johnson County in both White River (north) and Union (south) Townships, and is accessed by SR 135, SR 37 and SR 144. State Road 37 is a major north-south corridor connecting Bloomington to Indianapolis. The SR 37 corridor is slated to be converted to Interstate 69 in the future connecting Indianapolis to Evansville. SR 135 is a major north-south thoroughfare which connects Indianapolis to the town of Nashville, south of Bargersville. The approximately 19 square- mile Town neighbors unincorporated areas of White River Township (aka. Center Grove) and the City of Greenwood on the north and unincorporated Johnson County, Franklin, and Whiteland to the east. The area to the south is generally undeveloped and falls within the 2-mile Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (aka "Buffer Zone"). Though located in Johnson County, Bargersville, has the power to plan for land use and administer zoning decisions within the area. This allows Bargersville to better control the type of growth that may occur adjacent to the incorporated area.
The community was named for Jefferson Barger, who platted the town in 1850 at the intersection of what was then known as Three Notch Lane and Mooresville and Franklin Road, and today is SR 135 and SR 144 (aka. Old Plank Road). The intersection is also referred to as "Old" Bargersville. With an initial population of 150, the town consisted of a community general store, post office, church, and school house.
In 1908, the Indianapolis Southern Railroad expressed interest in the purchase of land for a new line in the area. Both the communities of Stones Crossing and Providence refused to sell land to the railroad, but Bargersville's cooperated. The tracks were laid the depot was built and soon after Mr. D.W. Rapp, a traveler on the railroad, decided to stay in town and invest in the creation of a new grain elevator. This led quickly to the construction of new businesses, and the platting of two hundred lots in the area.
Eventually the area nearer to the railroad tracks was coined "New" Bargersville, overshadowing "Old" Bargersville. Members of the growing community often commented on the potential for "Old" and "New" Bargersville's to one day come together, but they remain separated to this day.
Through the 1950's Bargersville had many businesses including the well- established Farmers State Bank as well as hardware and grocery stores, a pharmacy, restaurant, and others. The grain elevators and farmers ensured an active agricultural business, and Switzer's Tomato Factory (now Cabinets by Nichols) employed many, along with the machine and welding shops.
† Town of Bargersville Comprehensive Plan, 2013, www.townofbargersville.org, accessed April, 2021
Nearby Towns: Greenwood City •