Mahomet Village Hall is located at 503 East Main Street, Mahomet, IL 61853.
The Mahomet area was first settled in 1830 by Daniel Porter. Mahomet Township was originally platted as "Middletown" in 1832 and subsequently so recorded when the new County of Champaign was organized in 1836. The post office name was changed to Mahomet around 1840 because another town, in Logan County, was named Middletown. The name of the township was not officially changed to Mahomet until 1867. The Village of Mahomet was incorporated in 1872.
Agriculture and transportation activities provided the original impetus for the Village's growth. The old Bloomington Road forded the Sangamon River at Mahomet, providing opportunities for water-related commercial uses, such as a ferry, taverns and boarding houses. The Indiana, Bloomington and Western Railroad, later known as the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (The Big Four), and still later known as Conrail, extended a line through the Mahomet area providing transportation between Bloomington, Champaign, Urbana and Danville. By 1879 a mill and elevator had located near the railroad in Mahomet, along with other agriculture-related businesses which relied on the railroad to transport goods. During this time period the Mahomet area also supported several farm families, including Benjamin Franklin Harris, who farmed approximately 5,000 acres.