The East End Historic District [†] is a thirty nine block residential neighborhood of predominantly single family dwellings. With access provided by Jefferson Street and Warm Springs Avenue to the south, the area developed through a series of subdivisions beginning in 1890. The neighborhood was connected to downtown by Jefferson Street, running east to west, ultimately renamed McKinley. The "presidential" streets, including Franklin, run northwest to southeast and the "tree" streets intersect northeast and southwest. The most rapid growth in the district occurred in the first ten years of the twentieth century, extending to 1940.
The development pattern is established by a street grid with alleys within the mid-blocks. There is continuity in the streetscapes with consistent building setbacks, landscaping, and sidewalks. In general, lots are small; 25 feet wide and 122 feet deep, with the exception being corner lots with 30 foot widths. Most early residents purchased two lots at a time and houses were generally constructed with uniform setbacks and a mix of sizes and styles. Building materials include local sandstone and brick, locally milled lumber, and "Miracle Brick," a cast concrete product that resembles cut stone. One- and two-story single-family dwellings dominate the area, but duplexes and apartment houses also occur.
A predominant neighborhood-wide amenity is sidewalk that is generally accompanied with grassy median strips. Many neighbors have landscaped around their homes providing character to the neighborhood. Two churches, one school, and a neighborhood grocery market are the only non-residential uses in the district.
The predominant architectural style in the district is the Craftsman Bungalow, represented by 127 homes or 29 percent. There are a mix of other styles present including Queen Anne cottages, American foursquare, and a handful of Mission Revival / Spanish Eclectic. There are no large clusters of contributing structures, rather they are scattered throughout the district.
† Design Guidelines for Residential Historic District, 2013, www.cityofboise.org, accessed May, 2021.
Avenue D North • Avenue E North • Avenue F North • Avenue H North • Bannock Street East • Coston Street North • Flume Court East • Haines Street North • Jefferson Street East • Jefferson Street East • Krall Street East • Locust Street North • Logan Street East • Maple Avenue North • McKinley Street East • Pierce Street North • Reserve Street East • State Street East • Straughan Street North • Walnut Street North