East Point City Manager's office is located at 1526 East Forrest Avenue, East Point GA 30344.
East Point [‡], named for its original location as the busy eastern-most terminus of the Atlanta and West Point railroads, was chartered August 10, 1887. From 1820 to 1930, the City grew from an Indian territory with few people to a manufacturing city that housed more than 10,000 people.
Early history shows that East Point was prosperous due to its location on, and marriage to, various transportation modes. From the railroad, to the horse and carriage, to the automobile, East Point has always been recog-nized for its location and accessibility. Even today, the commercial downtown area relies heavily on their attraction from the MARTA station located on Main Street.
After the depression, East Point experienced the same type of struggles as any other southern city. Times were hard for everyone, and little development activity took place. In 1947, the City experienced the largest building boom since the pre-civil war movement. New structures began to line the streets and today, these early roots remain an architectural asset for the city.
‡ City of East Point Comprehensive Plan Update, 2017, www.eastpoint.org, accessed November, 2018.
Nearby Towns: Atlanta City • College Park City • Forest Park City •