Chaplin Town Hall is located at 495 Phoenixville Road, Chaplin CT 06235.
Phone: 860‑455‑0073. Chaplin was incorporated in 1822.
The first permanent settler of whom there is any knowledge was Benjamin Chaplin, whose father, a deacon by the same name, lived in the southwestern part of Pomfret. He came to live a solitary life in the wilderness, and lived for a while in a clearing he made on the banks of the Natchaug. Here he engaged in making baskets and wooden trays. In 1747 he married Mary Ross, a widow, the daughter of Seth Payne, of the Town of Brooklyn. Not long after he built a large and handsome mansion where he reared a large family. Both Chaplin and his wife were thrifty and soon they accumulated property. Chaplin was a skillful surveyor and became very familiar with all the land in the vicinity, and was often able to buy large tracts at a small price. He laid out plans, built houses and barns, and otherwise exercised his ownership and disposition to improve his estate.
Chaplin was incorporated as an ecclesiastical society in October of 1809. As the area developed and grew, the need for civil organization resulted in town privileges for Chaplin beginning in May of 1822.
Nearby Towns: Ashford Town • Hampton Town • Scotland Town • Windham Town •