Ellington Town Hall is located at 55 Main Street, Ellington CT 06029; phone: 860-870-3100.
Ellington was originally part of East Windsor (Hartford County). It was settled about 1720, organized as a parish in 1730, and incorporated as a town in 1786. The name was probably taken from a town in the County of Huntington, England.
The village center lies north of what was known as the Great Swamp. Part of the region around Crystal Lake was one time occupied by Mohegan Indians who had acquired it through conquest, and called it Wabbequasset. It was later known as "Square Pond." A portion of Shenipsit State Forest lies within the town.