The historic Cole Neighborhood, named for Carlos M. Cole, a former Superintendent of Denver Public Schools, is bounded generally by Downing Street on the west, 40th Avenue on the north, York Street on the east, and Martin Luther King Boulevard on the south. The neighborhood's western parcels (west of High Street), were platted and largely developed prior to the turn of the century. During this time, lands that would later encompass Cole's eastern portions were owned by David Moffat and H.S. Cheesman. Platted in 1902 as the Cheesman-Moffat Addition, this area was gradually developed in the ensuing years as working class housing to support nearby industries.
Many of the neighborhood's first families were of Irish and German descent, while smaller numbers of Russians, Swedes, Poles, Hungarians, and Scandinavians also settled here. Residents worked for the nearby railyards, foundries and stockyards. Many Germans were employed as machinists, helping build compressors and drilling equipment. Many eastern Europeans also worked in nearby smeltering plants.
33rd Avenue East • 35th Avenue East • 36th Avenue East • 37th Avenue East • 38th Avenue East • 39th Avenue East • 40th Avenue East • Bruce Randolph Avenue East • Downing Street • Franklin Street • Gaylord Street • Gilpin Street • High Street • Humboldt Street • Lafayette Street • Marion Street • Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard • Race Street • Vine Street • York Street