Horace Jayne Residence
The Dr. Horace Jayne Residence (320 S. 19th St.) was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Text, below, was adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.
The Horace Jayne house stands on one of Philadelphia's most important corner sites, where Delancey street's jog to the north makes this site the termination of the vista at the west end of the 1800 block of Delancey Street. Against its setting of plain red brick, white stone-trimmed Italianate houses, of the 1860's and 70's, the Jayne house stands out like a baroque gem because of the exuberant embellishment of its broad facade.
The Jayne house is significant as the masterfully designed residence, by Philadelphia's preeminent Victorian designer, Frank Furness, for an important Philadelphia physician, Horace Jayne. Further it has added importance as a landmark house in the midst of Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square neighborhood, on preserved and elegant Delancey street. Its later occupants have been of interest as well, for merchant Jacob Lit of the Lit Brothers Department Store chain, was merchant and a philanthropist of note. But, it is an a compelling and highly original architectural design that gives this building its principal place in American cultural history. That place is assured for reasons already noted in the description.
The Jayne house is significant as the masterfully designed residence, by The client is of interest as well, for Horace Jayne was a son-in-law of Horace Furness, while continuing the family of Dr. David Jayne. It was David Jayne, the patent medicine magnate, who founded the family fortune, and whose great John McArthur-designed mansion also stood in the Rittenhouse neighborhood. It was out of this Jayne household, that son Horace Jayne, became one of the principal figures in the city's Museum of Art. The next owner, Jacob Lit, was of equal interest, as prominent merchant whose Lit Brothers Department Stores rivaled Wanamakers, Gimbels, and Strawbridges in the late 19th and early 20th century. He apparently purchased the house, at about the same time that he sold the store to City Stores, in 1928.