Fitler Square is both a city park (24th and Pine Streets) and a neighborhood (primarily residential) roughly bounded (west to east) by the Schuylkill River and South 21st Street, and (south to north) South Street and Locust Street. The area between Fitler Square and nearby Rittenhouse Square is known locally as "Rit-Fit."
Early 19th century settlers in the are were Irish immigrants whose breadwinners labored as stevedores along the nearby Schuylkill wharves. The site of the current park was formerly a brickyard. It was named for Edward Fitler who served as mayor of Philadelphia from 1887 through 1891.
The majority of neighborhood residences date from mid-19th to early 20th century and are primarily row homes with a few detached, singles here and there.
School District: Philadelphia