Towamencin Township municipal offices are located at 1090 Troxell Road, Kulpsville PA 19443; phone: 215-368-7602.
The township began settlement in the 1690s and was incorporated in 1728. The village of Kulpsville is named for Jacob Kulp, an early landowner.
The first grant of land in Towamencin Township was in 1703 from William Penn's Commissioners to Benjamin Furley on June 8. The Commissioners granted 1,000 acres to him. On June 17 of that same year, Abraham Tennis and Jan Lucken bought the property from him, and then divided the land in half in 1709.
The name Towamencin is of American Indian origins, and means "Poplar Tree." The legend associated with the name started in the 1720's when Heinrich Fry purchased some land near what is now known as the Towamencin Creek. On this tract of land was an Indian Village. The Indian Chief spoke broken English and observed one day two men clearing trees near the creek and said "Towha-men-seen," meaning "Two men seen." Apparently, the Chief's pronunciation stuck, as the legend goes, and is how Towamencin got its name.
In March of 1728 the settlers of the area petitioned William Penn's Commissioners for Towamencin to become a Township. The request was granted and a charter given. The land was surveyed and recorded, outlining the boundaries of the Township. Those boundaries are similar to what they are today. In the enumeration of 1734 there were 32 landholders within the Township, with William Tennis having the most acreage at 250 acres.
Source: Township of Towamencin
Edward Morgan House—Birthplace of Daniel Boone's Mother
The Edward Morgan House was built circa 1700 near the settlement of Gwynedd. Despite the fact that the area was predominantly one of Welsh settlement, the house is essentially Germanic in plan and detail. The original 2 1/2 story, center chimney house was constructed of white oak logs, dressed with notched corners. The chinking between the logs consisted of stones set diagonally in mortar. The logs in the gable end were covered with vertical sheathing. The house is three bays wide and two deep. Window placement is asymmetrical. There is evidence that the original windows were of the casement type. Both the front and rear entrances are located off-center toward the north gable. A pent roof originally ran around three sides of the building. The steep pitched, gable roof was covered with hand split and side lapped shingles which were side tapered and butt nailed. A small, two bay, one-and-a-half story addition was made to the gable end at a later date.
Much of the original interior of the Morgan house is still preserved. The floor framing consists of exposed joists with the underside of the exposed floorboards double-reeded and finished. The same double-reeded joint is also used on surviving board partitions and doors. Many of the original doors, stairs, and stair rails are also intact as is most of the original hand-wrought hardware. The large cooking fireplace is completely intact even to the jigged brackets under the shelf.
At present (1973), the house is in rather run-down state. Original windows have been long removed as has the pent roof. The main section of the house has been covered with slate siding. The roof of the small addition has been raised to a full 2 1/2 stories. A full-length porch now runs across the front facade. Nevertheless, the house still maintains its basic, original appearance. Restoration of the house to its 1700 appearance is currently underway.
The Edward Morgan House is an excellent example of a medieval European log house. Many features, such as the basic center chimney plan, asymmetrical window and door placement, pent roof, diagonal chinking, and casement windows, give evidence of the medieval influence in building techniques. The house is remarkably well-preserved and has exceptionally fine interiors for such an early, rural dwelling.
Edward Morgan came to Pennsylvania in 1698 with a large group of Welsh settlers. He settled north of the main Welsh center at Gwynedd, where he quickly built up a prosperous farm. In 1720, his daughter Sarah married Squire Boone. Ten years later, the Boones moved to the Manatawny Valley in Berks County. It was there that Daniel Boone, the famous frontiersman, was born in 1734.
Source: Edward Morgan House, 1973, Nomination Document, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.