Rutland Town Hall is located at 181 Business Route 4, Center Rutland, VT 05736.
Chartered in 1761, the original Town of Rutland included what are now the towns of Proctor and West Rutland as well as the City of Rutland. Colonel James Mead was one of the first to settle here, arriving about 1770.
In 1774 Rutland had a population of 35 families, among whom were Joseph Bowker and John Smith. Captain John Smith emigrated from Salisbury, Connecticut, to Rutland, in April of 1774. Mr. Smith was the first town clerk and the first representative of Rutland in the General Assembly. He had 5 sons and 1 daughter (John, Daniel, Joel, Silas, Elijah and Sarah), all of whom settled on the tract of land owned by their father.