Photo: Pleasant Grove, ca. 1853, 4377 West Main Street, Salem, VA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Photographed by User:Molly Cardenas (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2014.
The Roanoke County Courthouse is located at 305 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153; phone: 540‑387‑6205.
- Cave Spring
- Vinton Town
Salem, an Independent Virginia City, is the seat of government for Roanoke County.
Scottish-Irish immigrants began settling in the area as early as 1740. The county was created in 1838 from parts of Botetourt and Montgomery counties.
- Riverland Historic District
- Belle Aire
- Boxley-Sprinkle House
- Buena Vista
- Gainsboro Historic District
- Grandin Road Commercial Historic District
- Harshbarger House
- Henry Street Historic District
- Hollins College Quadrangle
- Lone Oaks
- McVitty Home
- Mountain View
- Norfolk and Western Railway Company Historic District
- Old Roanoke County Courthouse
- Pleasant Grove
- Roanoke Apartments
- Roanoke City Market Historic District
- Roanoke Downtown Historic District
- Roanoke Warehouse Historic District
- Southwest Historic District