Dover Town Hall is located at 2480 West Canal Road, Dover PA 17315.
Dover Township was created in 1743 when the land was still part of Lancaster County. Derivation of the name is unknown, though it is likely a nostalgic choice by early British settlers renaming Dover, England. By far the majority of early settlers hailed from Palantine country along the Rhine River in Germany. Jacob Joner began laying out a "town" around 1747. The core his selections ultimately form what is now Dover Borough.
At the time of the first white settlement, Indians from the Potomac River area, Philadelphia, and the Delaware River areas, mingled using the grounds between their settlements as hunting grounds.
Nearby Towns: Dover Boro • New Salem Boro • Wellsville Boro • West Manchester Twp • West York Boro •