Northumberland Borough Hall is located at 221 Second Street, Northumberland PA 17857; phone: 570-473-3414.
Northumberland, Nearly opposite Sunbury, built on the point of land between the North and West Branches of the Susquehanna, at their junction. The town was laid out about the year 1775, by Reuben Haynes, originally from Philadelphia. At first its progress was slow, as all the inhabitants during the revolution were obliged to escape being murdered by a cruel enemy, to flee and seek refuge at Fort Augusta. It was not till 1784 or '85, that Northumberland was again re-occupied; and in 10 or 12 years afterwards it numbered nearly 100 houses; at present it contains about 160. The town was incorporated as a borough April 14, 1828. It contains four churches — Old and New School Presbyterian, German Reformed, and Methodist — an academy, a market house, a bank, a town house of brick, and in 1840 contained 6 stores, several taverns, 3 scholars, 190 scholars, and a number of mechanics shops. Its locality is inviting to the recluse. The country expands behind the town in a semi-circular form, rising in gentle swells towards Montour's ridge, which crosses between the two rivers at a distance of about 3 miles. Opposite the town, in the North Branch, is a long and beautiful island, called Lyon's Island. Two splendid bridges connect this island with the main land on either shore. Another splendid bridge, which also answers as a towing path, crosses the West Branch at its mouth. At the southern end of this latter bridge, rises the high and precipitous sandstone of "Blue Hill," from which a magnificent prospect is enjoyed of the valleys of both rivers. The town is well laid out.