Herndon Borough Hall is located on North Main Street, Herndon PA 17830.
Incorporated from Jackson Township, August 29, 1902, and named in honor of Commander William L. Herndon of the U.S. Navy, who lost his life in the Gulf of Mexico, September 12, 1857 while rescuing passengers from the sinking steamer, "Central America." The village was projected because of slack water navigation possibilities as early as 1827, at which time it was called Port Royal. Robert A. Parish, of Philadelphia, about 1840, purchased the site and laid pit the town plot. In 1855 the Trevorton, Mahanoy & Susquehanna Railroad was opened and connected with the Pennsylvania Canal by a bridge across the Susquehanna River from Port Royal to present Port Trevorton, Snyder County. The post office was established in 1858, when the name was changed to Herndon, with J. E. Strickler as postmaster.