Erected when Centre Township was divided, May 7, I923, to form North and South Centre Townships. Centre had been erected in January, 1843, from Bloom and Briarcreek Townships. It was named for its geographical situation. The Van Campen, Salmon, and Aikman families were the pioneer settlers in 1777. The Aikman family built their cabin on the bank of the stream since known as Cabin Run. The Van Campens and Salmons were neighbors. In the spring of 1778 the house of the Van Campens was burned by the Indians. Joseph Salmon saw the smoke and hastened from the field to his own cabin but before he reached it observed it was surrounded by Indians, and his wife and child were prisoners. He was discovered and attempted to save himself in a bridge where the enemy was unable to dislodge him or to burn it. Exasperated with this failure, they scalped his wife, then set her at liberty, but inhumanly killed the child before her eyes. The Van Campens were reserved for a fate even more sanguinary in its details of savage ferocity. The thrilling story of the escapades of Moses Van Campen have been related elsewhere. Colonel Joseph Salmon joined Van Campen and became one of the heroes of the Revolutionary War. His descendants are prominent citizens. The other village is Fowlerville. Population of North and South Centre in 1940 was 1158.
The village of Limestoneville was founded in 1835, through the erection of a dwelling and store by Daniel Smack. The establishment was a pretentious one for the time and place, and the ambition of the owner to found a community was given full sway. The next thing added to the settlement was a blacksmith shop, and after it was erected the enterprising pioneer secured a smith to conduct it. He built a shop for a tailor and another one for a shoemaker and placed men in charge. His energy extended further and in a more philanthropic direction, when the construction of a Methodist church was begun. Upon its completion Daniel Smack organized a congregation which filled the frame building, and the fulfillment of his ambition—that of building a town—was reached, when a brick schoolhouse augmented the other utilities of the community. A hotel was opened by a German who had come to the village. Later Balliet & McCormick entered into a commercial rivalry with Daniel Smack which terminated when the partners purchased his interests, lock, stock and barrel, as it were, and not only became proprietors of the Smack store, but of the community itself. This mercantile business they conducted with success until 1848, when they sold out to Jacob Weidenhamer. From those early days Limestoneville has grown to be a pretentious and thrifty village of comfortable residences and such public conveniences, including a post office, as accrue to a place of its size.
The first steam sawmill in Limestone Township was built in 1888 by Ellis Cromley at Limestoneville. John Schalter built a chop mill in 1892, and later operated by John N. Herr.
Limestoneville Institute was established in 1862 in a substantial brick building. It was a classical high school, under the care of W. D. Weidenhamer, president; Rev. Lucien Cort, secretary; A. S. Wagner, treasurer; and David Davis, trustee, for an association of stockholders. The school opened with a goodly number of attendants, and with Rev. Lucien Cort as the principal. His successors were: Professors Alden, J. Hay Brown, present chief justice of the Supreme court of Pennsylvania, William G. Ritter, Charles S. Albert, J. E. Shadle, J. P. Bergner, William Pullen and W. B. Shedden. The latter was the last instructor, in 1889, the school being closed because of lack of attendance and support.
Limestone Road • Strick Road