Delaware Grove was one of the village communities that illustrate the law of the survival of the fittest among social organisms as well as in individuals. Situated two or three miles northeast of Big Bend, it first became a trading point in 1834, with the opening of a store. James T. Black was the merchant, and in 1840 became the first postmaster. The opening of the canal increased the importance of the settlement, and for many years it absorbed a prosperity from the traffic along that water-way. Its decline began after the abandonment of the canal, and in 1886 the post office was discontinued. The last landmark passed with the burning of the Delaware Grove tavern in April, 1905. A noted hostelry in its time, and the scene of many merry gatherings. Its license was revoked in 1880, and from that time it fell into disrepute and decay until fire consumed all except the associations that belong to the spot.
Delaware Road • Grove Road • Mercer Road • Pew Road • Route 58