Greensboro Borough Hall is located on Front Street (P.O. Box 134), Greensboro PA 15338.
The ancient village of Greensboro is situated on the west bank of the Monongahela River about three miles below the mouth of Dunkard Creek. Being the point on the river that was the most central and accessible to the early settlements along the Dunkard and the Big Whiteley valleys, it long enjoyed unrivaled celebrity as a trading post and boating port. It was the starting point for all western bound parties. Canoes and rafts and flat boats were constantly fitting out and leaving freighted with emigrants and adventurers into the inviting regions of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. In this way it had gained widespread notoriety as a place of business long before it was laid out and plotted as a town.
The tract of land which it occupies was called "Delight," and was patented to Elias Stone and Elizabeth, his wife, in 1787. On the 31st day of May, 1791, he had the site of the town surveyed and plotted into eighty lots, each containing sixty perches, with streets forty feet wide. Lot No. 60 was appropriated for public use at the discretion of the inhabitants and is on the corner of Third and County streets. The names of the streets, beginning at the river are Water, Front, Second, Third and Fourth. The cross streets are Diamond, Stone, Clear, Walnut, Minor and County.
Among the earliest settlers of Greensboro was an enterprising but eccentric Frenchman, John Badolet, and who was appointed, through the recommendation of the Hon. John Minor, one of the first Associate Judges upon the organization of the county in 1796. Judge Badolet migrated west shortly after and left no line of posterity in the county.
In the year 1807 a glass factory was established three-fourths of a mile below the town, which added much business and reputation to the place, the history of which involves a biographical sketch of Albert Gallatin, one of the worthiest and most distinguished public men of that, or any other age.
Nearby Towns: Nicholson Twp •