Platea Borough Hall is located at 9957 Maiden Lane, Girard, PA 16417.
Originally incorporated as the Borough of Lockport about 1840 when the canal was being built, and grew around a series of 28 locks in that waterway, in a distance of but two miles, each having a rise of about 6-1/2 feet to lift the boats from the Lake Shore plain to the levels of Conneaut Creek. The village is 22 miles from Erie on the Bessemer Railroad. Here Ezekiel Page, who had invented a way to turn the handle and the blade of an oar in a single operation, built a factory for the purpose, four stories high and 80 by 180 feet in dimensions, which, after his failure and death, was removed to Erie. The town was incorporated as a borough in 1870, with 1,700 acres and a population then of about 500, and was formed out of Elk Creek Township. From the head lock at this town, the old canal had an 11-mile level south to Spring Corners in Crawford County.
Nearby Towns: Albion Boro • Cranesville Boro • Fairview Twp • Girard Boro • Lake City Boro •