City of Coatesville municipal offices are located at 1 City Hall Place, Coatesville PA 19320; phone: 610-384-0300.
Home on South 11th Avenue compliments of
Matthew Gorham | Keller Williams Real Estate-Exton
610-363-4340 (direct) | 610-363-4300 (broker)
Coatesville was well-known as the home of the Brandywine Iron Works, where the first charcoal iron boiler plates in the United States were rolled about 1820, and its successor, Lukens Steel Company, the world's largest steel plate rolling mill. It was settled by a Scotchman, William Fleming, in 1714 and known about 1800 as Bridgetown, from the Bridge Tavern which stood on the northeast corner of the intersection of the Lancaster Turnpike and the road to Wagontown. In 1810 a real estate development just southeast of this intersection was called Coates Villa. The settlement was renamed Coatesville in 1812 for Moses Coates, a big landowner who became the first postmaster, and was incorporated as a borough in 1867. It operated as a borough until 1916. Then it became the first city in Chester County.