Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search


Penn Twp, Centre County, PA

Beginnings [1]

Coburn owes its growth to the railroad and its name to Col. J. P. Coburn. It is located at the confluence of Penn and Elk creeks and was formerly called the "Forks" from this fact. It is important as being the main distributing centre for Brush Valley and the eastern end of Penn's. To this point all the freight is brought by rail and expressed to Millheim, Aaronsburg, Woodward, Rebersburg and Madisonburg. It is also the coaling station for the above-named towns, and furnishes an outlet for the agricultural productions of that region.

It has grown considerably in the last decade and there is a good deal of business transacted at that point. The village contains many dwellings of a very respectable appearance, and the wants of the natives are supplied by two general stores which sell all kinds of merchandise. Until recently there was a grain house and chop mill, with a creamery attached, which was operated by Mr. Luther Guisewhite, but the whole plant was entirely destroyed by fire quite lately.

There are three churches in the village — Reformed, Evangelical and Lutheran — a very bountiful supply when the size of the town is taken into consideration. There is also a first-rate hotel in the place where travellers can be accommodated for any length of time, kept by R. O. Braught.

The principal business man of the place is John Hoffa, Jr., who conducts a coal yard in connection with a grain and produce establishment.

The village is located favorably for development, and in the course of time may grow to considerable proportions, as it is the only outlet by rail for a wide area of rich farming lands and several important towns.

  1. Illingworth, Ralph W., A Passing Glance at Penn's Valley, Milton, PA: Milton Printing Co., 1896.

Street Names
Main Street • Penns Creek Road • Tunnel Road