The village which claims the title Woodward is located at the eastern end of the valley and is one of the oldest places in this section. It was settled at first by the Motz's, of which family there are yet representatives in the village. It contains two churches, both Evangelical; two stores, the principal one of which is conducted by R. M. Wolf; a distillery, a post-office, a saw mill and a blacksmith shop. At one time it was a place of much business, but since the railroad has been built, the travel has been diverted and the village has settled down into a rural centre, supported by the farming district. The country between the village and Aaronsburg comprises the richest soil in the valley and the occupants of the farms are known far and wide for their successful farming, their thrift, industry and economy.
J. C. F. MOTZ.
J. C. F. Motz, of Woodward is one of the youngest merchants of Penn's Valley. His ancestors were practically the original settlers of the section of country now known by the name of Woodward, and the family has been influential in the region for over a century. His father, previous to his death was one of the best known and highly respected citizens of Centre county, and was very prominently identified with the history of this locality. As business man, banker and stockholder in various concerns he exercised a wide influence in Penn's Valley. His son J. C. F. Motz was born in 1872, and spending the earlier years of his life at home, he left to pursue an education, which he acquired in Williamsport Seminary, supplemented by a course at State College. On the completion of his course, he with his brother assumed the management of his father's estate in which occupation he is now engaged.
R. M. WOLF.
Robert M. Wolf was born in Haines Township, Centre County, on the fifth day of June 1850. He was the eldest of three children and by the death of his father and sister was left alone in the world with his mother, at the tender age of seven. His parents were of that numerous portion of our population, who come under the description "poor but respectable." At the age of seven, on the death of his father, he was bound out to John Hess, of Haines township to remain until of age, but by the retirement of Mr. Hess this plan was made abortive. In the meantime, his mother having married Samuel M. Motz, Mr. Wolf turned in the direction of his stepfather for work and found it, remaining on the farm for three years. His education was received at the school of Prof. R. M. Magee, who principaled an academy at Rebersburg, and at the completion of his scholastic career he was apprenticed to F. L. Hipple, of Lewisburg, to learn the carpenters trade.
In 1869 he travelled west where he remained two years, when on his return he settled in Woodward. In 1875 having bought the one-third interest of Wolf's store and grist mill in Brush valley, he moved there with his family, but returned two years later to Woodward, having sold his business interests in Brush valley to George Miller. G. R. Spigelmeyer having disposed of his stock of merchandise to Mr. Wolf and C. W. Hosterman, the business was conducted by the firm until 1883 when Mr. Wolf retired, but remained to clerk for his former partner. In 1886 he got control of his present store and has been in business ever since at this stand. Mr. Wolf is identified with the interests of Woodward, having been postmaster thirteen years, and a leading member of the Evangelical Association since 1873. He married in 1872 Susan R. Miller, who with him enjoys the society of three daughters — Mertie E.; M. Florence and Mable L. — the eldest of whom is married, while the two younger are still under the paternal roof.
Penns Valley Road • Pine Creek Road