This village [†] takes its name from the Derstein family who were early settlers in West Rockhill Township. The name appears to have several different spellings. The family bought 200 acres of land in 1730 and built a primitive mill on what eventually became known as Derstein Mill Creek. The Dersteins replaced this mill in 1742 by a new mill which had the best machinery available at the time. The second mill was subsequently tom down in 1873, and replaced by yet another structure.
The Dersteins also built a mansion in the area in 1748. The North Pennsylvania Railroad once maintained the Derstine Station, but the station was discontinued in 1940.
Today, Derstine is a very small settlement consisting of about seven to eight houses. The village is located in a valley overlooked by a large retirement community. Derstine has no distinct edges or center, making it difficult to determine the exact location and extent of the village.
† Bucks County Commissioners, The Villages of Bucks County: A Guidebook, undated (probably 1987).
Old State Road • Route 152 • State Road