Bridgetown is located where Core Creek empties into the Neshaminy Creek (just west of the intersection of Newtown Pike (Route 413) and Bridgetown Pike. Some of the earliest mills from Colonial times were built along Core Creek. Historians suggest that the name was given to the hamlet because of the close proximity of two bridges spanning the respective creeks. The Bridgetown Mill was first built along Core Creek more than a mile north of the Neshaminy. Circa 1704 it was rebuilt near the confluence of the two creeks.
Preston, Jenks, and Comfort were family names of note in the affairs of commerce and politics in the Bridgetown area during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Traces of Colonial times are found in a handful of extant structures scattered along Bridgetown and Newtown Pikes, near the intersection. One residence, Edgemont, was built circa 1820 by Joseph Jenks, (descendant of Thomas) who operated the Bridgetown Mill into the 1840s. Little more remains save the few 18th and 19th century residences, and memories invoked perhaps in the names of some of the surrounding, contemporary residential subdivisions: Bridgetown Grant, Heatons Mill, Old Mill Woods, and Hampton Bridge.
Bridgetown Pike • Newtown Pike • Route 413