Rockland Town Hall is located at 41 Deysher Road, Fleetwood PA 19522.
Rockland Township was organized in 1758. Prior to that it was a part of Oley. It took its name from the numerous rocks it contains. Boulders thirty feet long, fifteen feet wide and fifteen feet high may be seen. Certain collections of rocks are known as Shott's Head and Guinther's Head. Near the latter there is a succession of rocks one hundred twenty feet long. This is the watershed of the township and from this point the water is drained south, east and west.
The early settlers were Germans, who migrated northward from Oley. In 1842 a part of this township was taken and annexed to Pike.
Sacony and Beaver Creeks have for many years turned mills of various kinds. Grim's mill on the Sacony has been remodeled recently and now does the grinding by an up-to-date process. Rohrbach's mill was destroyed by fire some time ago, and has not been rebuilt. Roth's mill is near Dryville and Keller's in the western part of the township.
On the Sacony was also located the "Sally Ann" charcoal furnace. It was built in 1811, and was operated until 1879. The Rockland Forges were operated for more than seventy years. General Daniel Udree operated one with Hessians and Redemptioners.
On Beaver Creek was manufactured paper and birch oil. A kind of clay has been found from which chinaware is made. A pottery was also operated in the vicinity. A granite, very much like Vermont granite, is found near New Jerusalem. There is a marble saw mill on the Sacony near Grim's mill, where large blocks of marble are sawed into desirable sizes. It has been in operation since 1864. None of the early mines are now in operation.
Nearby Towns: District Twp • Earl Twp • Fleetwood Boro • Kutztown Boro • Lyons Boro • Maxatawny Twp • Oley Twp • Pike Twp • Richmond Twp • Topton Boro •