Township municipal offices are located on Seisholtzville Road and Township Road; mailing address is PO Box 225, Hereford PA 18056; phone: 610-845-2929.
First settled around 1732, Hereford was incorporated February 1, 1753 from Colebrookdale Township.
The Perkiomen Creek rises in Hereford Township.
There are two Hereford Township Properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
- John Gehman Farm, circa 1767-1840; associated principally with the Gehman family of Berks. Three German brothers emigrated from the Palantine on the Rhine River, landing in Philadelphia in 1732. About 1737 one of the brothers, Christopher, settled in Hereford Township becoming the owner of 300 acres. Reverend John Gehman, a Mennonite minister, was the second son of Christopher. In 1767 he purchased a tract from Andrew Maurer. In 1802 the farm passed to the next generation.
- Hunters Mill Historic District, is a mill complex overlooking the Perkiomen Creek; this 18th and 19th century mill is associated with Peter Richard, a prominent local ironmaster. The site's Georgian mansion typifies the costly, sophisticated architectural form favored by many upper class Pennsylvanians, especially ironmasters. It is one of eight (in Berks) similarly styled houses erected as part of furnace or forge plantations.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
LivingPlaces.com © 1997-2019 • The Gombach Group • Contact
• 10082 • Privacy