Heidelberg Township municipal offices are located at 11 Tulpehocken Forge Road, Robesonia PA 19551.
Originally part of Lancaster County, Heidelberg was first settled around 1723 and was incorporated in 1734.
Many of the early settlers in this township came from a district of the same name in Germany and named their township after their home in the fatherland. These first settlers were connected with the settlement of the Tulpehocken district. The first settlements were in the neighborhood of Womelsdorf. It was a part of Lancaster County until 1752. Different attempts were made to divide the township but they failed, until 1842 when the eastern portion was erected under the name of Lower Heidelberg, and the northern portion three years later as North Heidelberg.
The Weiser farm contained two hundred and forty-eight acres of land, selected probably more on account of the abundance of water and valuable timber than fertility of soil. Many very old buildings yet remain standing in this township. The remains of Conrad Weiser rest as they were interred many years ago. The spot will continue to become more noted as the early history of the nation becomes better known.
Nearby Towns: Bernville Boro • Jefferson Twp • Lower Heidelberg Twp • North Heidelberg Twp • Penn Twp • Robesonia Boro • South Heidelberg Twp • Wernersville Boro • Womelsdorf Boro •