Coraopolis Borough Hall is located at 1012 5th Street, Coraopolis PA 15108.
This borough was incorporated June 7, 1886. It was previously known as a village under the name of Middletown, while the post office name was Vancefort. It was established in August 1861, and changed to Coraopolis in March 1886.
The site of the borough was originally secured in warranty title by Henry Montour, April 3, 1769. It is a matter of uncertainty whether he ever lived upon this tract, and highly probable that his residence was not long, at all events. Robert Vance, who is thought to have been the first permanent settler in Moon township, settled in the vicinity of Montour's warrant about the beginning of the Revolution, and for the protection of himself and his neighbors, of whom several arrived within a few years, a stockade and blockhouse were built upon his land. The Indians on the opposite side of the Ohio were very aggressive, and made frequent predatory incursions into the territory to the south. The danger from these attacks is shown in the fact that murder and outrage were of frequent occurrence, notwithstanding the protection afforded by the fort.
Since acquiring railroad facilities, the town has improved rapidly. The location combines healthfulness, accessibility and congenial natural surroundings, the requisite conditions to secure valuable and permanent accessions to the population. ... The churches of the borough are Presbyterian, United Presbyterian and Methodist, all of recent origin. The Review, an able exponent of local interests, appears at regular but infrequent intervals.
Nearby Towns: Avalon Boro • Avalon Boro • Ben Avon Boro • Crafton Borough • Franklin Park Boro • Glenfield Boro • McKees Rocks Borough • Pennsbury Vlg Boro • Sewickley Boro • Stowe Township • Thornburg Boro •