Photo: Clinton-Hardy House, circa 1919, located a 1322 South Guthrie,,Tulsa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Photographed by User:W. R. Oswald, own work, 2012, creative commons [cc-3.0], via wikimedia, accessed January, 2023.
Tulsa County Courthouse is located at 500 South Denver Avenue, Tulsa OK 74103; phone: 918-596-5000.
Located on the Arkansas River on lands that were once part of the Creek and Cherokee nations, Tulsa County was one of the original counties created when Oklahoma was made a state. It took its name from the town of Tulsa in the Creek Nation, Indian Territory. The name, Tulsa, is derived from "Tulsey Town," an old Creek Indian settlement in Alabama. The county is part hills and bluffs and part wide prairie, marking the dividing line between the ridges of the Ozarks in the East and the broad plains of the West.
Tulsa County is the gateway to the area of the state known as "Green Country" for its lush rolling hills. Its western tip reaches Lake Keystone. The Arkansas River, in its wide bed, rolls southeastward across the county. Cattle and horse ranches and rich farmland lie almost within the shadow of urban buildings.
History runs deep in Tulsa County, from the early Native American inhabitants to the cattlemen, the coming of the railroads, and the oil boom. Near downtown Tulsa lies the historic meeting place of the Creek, Cherokee and Osage nations, Council Oak Tree.