Stan Hywet Hall was evaluated by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1988. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of HABS documentation #OH-50. [‡]
Stan Hywet Hall is one of the most outstanding examples of Tudor Revival architecture in the United States. As a house museum, it is notable for its high degree of architectural integrity and for displaying the original furnishings virtually intact. It is also significant for its associations with the original owners, Frank A. and Gertrude Seiberling, the former being the founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, and thus a leading figure in American manufacturing history.
The home was built from 1911-1915. Charles S. Schneider, the Cleveland representative of the New York architectural firm of George B. Post and Sons, was selected from a number of architects who submitted preliminary plans for the project. He accompanied the Seiberlings on a trip to Great Britain in April, 1912 in order that he might personally examine English Tudor architecture.
The landscape architect was Warren H. Manning of Boston.
The estate is named for the Anglo Saxon term meaning stone quarry, as there was a large sandstone quarry here. The builders, Frank Augustus Seiberling and his wife, Gertrude, were industrial and philanthropic leaders in their community. Besides Goodyear, Mr. Seiberling was involved in a number of transportation enterprises, including railroads, trucking and blimps.
Stan Hywet Hall remained in the family until 1957 when the Seiberling heirs donated 65 acres of the estate, including the house and 3 other buildings, to a nonprofit foundation.
The Stan Hywet Hall-Frank A. Seiberling House, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, NRHP #75002058.
‡ Holly K. Chamberlain, Historian, Historic American Buildings Survey, Stan Hywet Hall, OH-50, memory.loc.gov, accessed February, 2012.
Portage Path North