The first settlement of this place (then called Cooper's Village) and the building of a public house by Judge Cooper in 1805, has been alluded to. Around that house, which was a large structure, sixty feet square and three stories high, the stores and shops of the place sprang up. After being kept by various persons, among them Isaac Stacy and Wm. Cleghorn, the building fell into decay and was taken down. Mr. Holt built a hotel about this time, which was favorably known throughout the country. The first school in the town was opened here in 1807, by Bela Willis, a Methodist exhorter. The post-office was established in 1820, the mails being carried through from the Black River country on horseback. Thomas B. Benedict was probably the first postmaster. Among those who have held the office since then may be mentioned Gideon Townsley, his son, Elias P., Nathaniel Holt, Asa Sprague, Stephen Slosson, John Kingsbury, L D. Townsley, John Whipple, and the present incumbent, A. J. Moore.
Among the former merchants of this place were Asa Sprague, Jr., Hiram McCollom, John Rounds, Stephen Slosson and D. A. Moore. Stores are now kept by D. A. Moore & Son, and Joseph Thraves. The only hotel in the place is the Seymour House, kept by Edward Seymour.
De Kalb-De Peyster Road • Dekal Junction Road • Route 812