Selected text was adapted from a copy of the National Register nomination document. 
The five residences in the Chatham Street Historic District are located adjacent to one another on the west side of Chatham Street. The eye is drawn to this particular grouping of buildings because of its architectural distinction and the lack of such distinction in the structures elsewhere on Chatham Street. The lacy gingerbread on the Vandenberg House (No. 18, c. 1870) and the spoolwork porch on the Louisa Heusted House (No. 20, c. 1880) are notable. The Heusted Store (No. 14) is a typical and remarkably intact example of an early (1864) commercial building. The district also contains one of Nassau's fine five bay Federal period homes, the Phillip Cook House (No. 16, 1812), and the delicately trimmed Parsonage with its fanlight in the gable and attenuated corner pilasters (No. 22, 1839).
All of the buildings are quite intact on the exterior and retain an historic appearance. There are no intrusions within the district boundaries.