First known to the world as "McKenzie's Corners," then from the material of which its first dwellings were constructed as "Slab City;" and later from one of its prominent and popular businessmen, Mr. E. H. S. Mumford, called " Mumfordville ; " and finally, at the suggestion of the Post Office authorities, who were desirous of economizing in space, time and labor, the last syllable was dropped from its name and it has since been called by its present name, "Mumford." Had the usual custom been followed of naming the village from its founders, it would have borne the name of McKay or McKenzie.
The McKay brothers were of Scotch descent, though born in this country.
John McKay came to Caledonia in 1803, and in the following year purchased of Charles Williamson, agent of the Pulteney Estate, the saw and grist mills he had just erected upon the outlet of the Big Spring. Three years later John was joined by his brother Robert, and together they purchased of Williamson a tract of 200 acres upon which the village of Mumford now stands, together with the water power of Spring Creek. The same year, 1806, the McKays erected upon their new purchase a saw mill; and in 1808 a small grist mill upon the site afterward occupied by the Page mill. In 1809 Robert McKay sold his half interest in the Spring Creek property to Thomas Mumford, and returning to Caledonia, engaged in selling merchandise.
Avenue A • Avenue B • Avenue C • Church Street • Dakin Street • East Avenue • George Street • Hyde Street • Main Street • Oatka Avenue Extension • Route 265 • Route 36 • Smith Street • State Street • West Avenue • William Street