Depew Village Hall is located at 85 Manitou Street, Depew NY 14043.
The village lies just east of Buffalo and straddles the municipal boundary between the Towns of Cheektowaga and Lancaster.
Incorporated in 1894, the village of Depew owes its existence to the erection here of New York Central Railroad shops in 1893. The settlement which grew up around these shops, partly in the town of Lancaster and partly in the town of Cheektowaga, was named in honor of the president of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, Chauncey M. Depew. A number of railroad industries were located in Depew before the turn of the century. They included such companies as the Gould Coupler Company, Union Car Company, and National Car Wheel Works. Polish, Italian, and East European immigrants settled here attracted by the promise of work in these factories and in New York Central's shops. Two trolley lines connected the communities with the car shops and the city of Buffalo. In 1930, when the car shops moved out, smaller industries which produced storage batteries, food products, steel casting for railroads, bags, wrappings, mattresses, and cut and crushed stone became important to the village's economy.
Nearby Towns: Lancaster Vlg •