Stanford Town Hall is located at 26 Townhall Road, Stanfordville, NY 12581.
This part of Dutchess County includes land once contained within the Great or Lower Nine Partners Patent tract, granted to Caleb Heathcote and eight other speculators by the English Crown in May 1697. The tract located south of the slightly later Little Nine Partners Patent of 1706, was approximately ten miles in width and extended from the Hudson River east towards the disputed Oblong lands and Connecticut; it was divided into 36 lots, each comprised of approximately 3,400 acres, in addition to nine "water" lots that allowed each patentee river frontage. The land in this region was first settled in the decades preceding the American Revolution, mostly by New Englanders from Massachusetts as well as some Long Islanders, with a substantial portion of Quakers settling in the later years of the 18th century.
Stanford was formed as a township in March 1793, having been formerly a part of the adjacent Town of Washington, and the first town meeting was conducted that year at the house of Ephraim Paine. Throughout the 19th century the town was comprised largely of farms with small pockets of development in hamlets such as Stanfordville and Bangall, both of which emerged as railroad stops during the 19th century, and as such served as centers for goods and services for outlying farming families.
Nearby Towns: Milan Town • Millbrook Vlg • Pine Plains Town • Washington Town •