The Fishkill Town Hall is located at 807 Route 52, Fishkill NY 12524.
The first purchase of land in the County of Dutchess was made in the town of Fishkill. On the 8th day of February, 1682, a license was given by Thomas Dongan, Commander in Chief of the Province of New York, to Francis Rombout and Gulian Yer Planck, to purchase a tract of land from the Indians. Under this license they bought in the 8th day of August, 1683, of the Wappinger Indians, all their right, title and interest to a certain large tract of land, afterward known as the Rombout Precinct. Gulian Yer Planck died before the English Patent was issued by Governor Dongan. Stephauus Van Cortland was then joined in it with Rombout, and Jacobus Kipp substituted as the representative of the children of Gulian Yer Planck. On the 17th day of October, 1685, letters patent, under the broad seal of the Province of New York, were granted by King James the Second, and the parties to whom these letters patent were granted, became from that time the undisputed proprietors of the soil. There were 76,00 acres of these lands lying in Fishkill and other towns taken from the patent, and 9,000 acres lying in the limits of the town of Poughkeepsie. Besides paying the natives, as a further consideration for the privilege of their license, they were to pay the Commander in Chief, Thomas Dongan, six bushels of good and merchantable winter wheat every year.
Nearby Towns: Beacon City • Cornwall-on-Hudson Vlg • Fishkill Vlg • Wappingers Falls Vlg •