Van Schaick House
The Van Schaick House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Portions of the text below were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.  Adaptation copyright © 2010, The Gombach Group.
In 1664, Captain Goosen Gerritse Van Schaick acquired an island in the Hudson River, at the mouth of the Mohawk River. The Van Schaick Mansion was built around 1735 by Wessel Van Schaick on the island which today is known as Van Schaick Island. When originally constructed, the Van Schaick Mansion was located on the King's Highway, which was then the main road north of Albany. As a result of its strategic location, the house was used as a military headquarters for various English generals during the French and Indian War. It also served as a military headquarters for Generals Montgomery, Schuyler, and Gates. Plans were made at the mansion for the Battle of Saratoga, and the house was used by Governor Clinton as a New York State Capitol from August 22nd to August 25th, 1777.
Architecturally, the Van Schaick House is significant as one of the earliest examples, in the upper Hudson Valley, of a building with a gambrel roof. It marked a new advance, beginning around 1720, in elegance and fashion in the 1-1/2 story Dutch residence.
Access to the Van Schaick House is off Van Schaick Avenue between Continental Avenue and Railroad Drive.