The Hayes House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.
The Hayes House, built in 1910, reflects the tastes and ambitions of a progressive small town miller who was, in his day, the magnate of the community.
The house is the second one on that site, owned by Hayes. The first was a smaller, frame house which in 1910 Hayes moved to the adjacent lot to the east where it now stands. Hayes built his mill between the house and the railroad tracks to facilitate the loading of flour and grain onto the Delaware and Hudson trains. He equipped the mill with the most modern machinery of the day. The success of the Hayes business had an effect on the economy of the village as it attracted farmers from the surrounding area, thereby benefitting local merchants.
Hayes' prosperity was manifest in 1910 with the construction of this newer and grander residence on the lot beside his mill. The close proximity of the house to the mill allowed Hayes to supervise his business from the side porch and illustrates an early 20th century businessman's integration of work and home life.
Only the cement foundations of the mill remain. It burned in the 1960s. However, the house, once owned by a niece of Mr. and Mrs. Hayes was virtually unaltered at the time of the writing of this document (1972). The lavish interior details, including stained glass, elaborate woodwork, and parquet floors, have been well-preserved and the house is maintained by the Altamont Fair and open to the public during the fair week in August. [Note: when we photographed the house in July, 2010, it appeared that the home was being occupied as a residence.]
Located on a residential street in the Village of Altamont adjacent to the fairgrounds, the Hayes House is a large, square, 2-1/2 story frame structure on a stone foundation.
The front (north) facade is 3 bays wide with an enclosed porch running the length of the ground floor along the entire north facade and half of the west facade. The front entrance is centered on the north facade. On the second floor over the front door a French window opens onto the L-shaped balcony above the enclosed porch. Fluted ionic pilasters are located at the corners of the building. On the front facade 2 story columns support another porch with a balcony on the 3rd floor, sheltering the central section of the 2nd floor balcony. The building has a hip roof of slate which terminates in a deck enclosed by a balustrade. Gabled dormers with paired windows are located on the 3rd floor on all 4 facades. There is a projecting cornice with brackets and a frieze with a band of dentils.
A chimney is located in the center of the building. On the rear (south) facade is a 1 story porch and kitchen entry.
The ground floor windows have stained glass transoms and the window on the landing of the stairs is entirely stained glass. Side lights flank the front door which is inset with an oval pane of glass. The house has a central hall plan with a double parlor on the west side. The two front rooms are separated from the central hallway by pairs of oak Corinthian columns on pedestals.
Many interior features remain well-preserved. These include original mantles, parquet floors, many of the original lighting fixtures and a dumbwaiter in working condition. The house has been refurnished for public presentation.
A tool shed and garage are located to the rear of the building and the foundations of the mill are still visible.