Stafford Township municipal offices are located at 260 East Bay Avenue, Manahawkin, NJ 08050.
The Barnegat Bay area is where the first settlers arrived at what would become Stafford Township. Stafford was incorporated in 1749 from Shrewsbury in Monmouth County. It was named for Staffordshire, England. It was the first government formed in Ocean County.
The area was known by the Lenni Lenape Indians as "Manahawkin," meaning "Land of Good Corn," or, "fertile land that slopes to the water."
Nearby Towns: Barnegat Twp • Little Egg Harbor Twp • Ocean Twp • Ship Bottom Boro • Surf City Boro •