Photo: James W. Marshall House, ca. 1816, 60 Bridge Street, Lambertville, NJ. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. Photographed by user:Cholmes75 (own work), 2006, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed July, 2013.
Lambertville City Hall is located at 18 York Street, Lambertville NJ 08530.
Lambertville is located along the banks of the Delaware River, and is connected by a bridge to New Hope, Pennsylvania; the Delaware and Raritan Canal, runs through the City.
Between the years 1720-1730, a young man, from the eastern part of the [New Jersey] Province, more in quest of fortune than of fame, came here and settled along the banks of the Delaware River, and constructed a "Hut" in which to dwell.
He was, evidently, both shrewd and enterprising. Seeing his opportunity, he embraced it by buying an extensive tract of land and beginning traffic with the Indians.
The shortest and most direct route between New York and Philadelphia was the "Indian Path" through the forest to the river, along whose banks he had his "Hut," and tradition tells us that, at this time, he was the only white man in this region.
In 1732 this man applied to King George II for the exclusive right of a ferry three miles above and the same distance below his "Hut."
This he obtained, calling it "Coryell's Ferry," from his own name, Emanuel Coryell, a name it retained for eighty years, and one that was notable in history during the Revolution.
In that same year (1732) he built a commodious and (for this time) imposing stone house, which was an Inn for the traveling public. It was on the site of the original "Ferry House," a pretty location with the ground sloping to the creek.
Tradition says that the "Hut" was the tavern until the "Ferry House" was occupied, and that its location was on the corner of Main and York Streets, on the site where the Episcopal Church now stands .
In 1812, the Honorable John Lambert, U. S. Senator during Jefferson's Administration, applied to the Post-Office Department for a post-office. His petition being granted, he named the village "Lambertville," and his nephew, Captain John Lambert, became the first postmaster.
The Coryells were very indignant at the name given, for they considered it a usurpation of their rights, and, in consequence, refused to accept it, calling it "Lambertsvillainy" instead. Their side of the village they called Georgetown, there being three prominent men living there named, respectively, George Hoppock, George Tanner and George Coryell; but it was all in vain. The post-office "Lambert's Ville" gained the day. Previous to that time letters sent to friends here were addressed: "Coryell's Ferry, PA., "Amwell, New Jersey."
When the town was incorporated the letter "s" was dropped, and it is now the City of Lambertville. (The name of John Lambert appears in records of State and County as well as those of his native town. In addition to being a U.S. Senator during Jefferson's administration, he was a member of the Legislature and Council of New Jersey, at one time acting Governor and also a member of the House of Representatives.
Nearby Towns: Delaware Twp • New Hope Boro • Solebury Twp • Stockton Boro • Upper Makefield Twp • West Amwell Twp •