Town of West New York municipal offices are located at 428 60th Street, West New York, NJ 07093.
West New York today is an urban town located on the western bank of the Hudson River, with a land area of 1.007 square miles. The Town of West New York was incorporated in 1898. The area was first settled by Europeans in 1790. Like the rest of Hudson County it was largely an agricultural area until the 19th Century when canals and railroads from the west were constructed terminating at the Hudson River. The Hudson River waterfront was converted into a series of rail yards stretching from West New York south to Bayonne. Upland areas in north Hudson saw the development of small businesses and industries including textiles, silk mills, handbag manufacturers and the embroidery industry while heavy industry including oil refineries located in south Hudson. 
Hudson County experienced an economic boom during World War I due to shipbuilding for the war effort. The Great Depression followed resulting in factory closings and lay-offs. During World War II the economy flourished again. However, after World War II the move to suburbia began with federally-backed mortgage money and the advent of the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Workers moved to the suburbs and commuted to jobs in the cities. Those who were unable to afford the move to suburbia were left to live in the urban areas. The collapse of the railroads and the shift in marine shipping to large containers resulted in the loss of many jobs in Hudson County. The County was saddled with high unemployment and low income levels.
After decades of little or no growth, immigration to West New York increased dramatically in the 1960's with the arrival of Cuban refugees and other newcomers primarily from South and Central America. The population increased by 14.3% between 1960 and 1970 to be followed by two decades of no growth.
Nearby Towns: Brooklyn Boro • East Rutherford Boro • Edgewater Borough • Jersey City • Ridgefield Park Vlg • Rutherford Boro • Wallington Boro • Weehawken Twp •