Photo: Morris Mansion, ca. 1750s, Hanover Street, Pemberton, NJ. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Photographed by user:Apc106 (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed October, 2013.
Pemberton Borough Hall is located at 50 Egbert Street, Pemberton, NJ 08068.
Pemberton had a quiet beginning sometime in the 1740s when David Budd selected it as the site for his grist mill. The settlement became the first company town in Burlington County when, in 1752, four men—David Budd, Patrick Reynolds, Robert Smith, and Daniel Smith—incorporated there as the New Mills Company. The Company's purpose was to create a corporate center with attractive home sites owned and operated by the Company. Each of the men owned a full one-quarter interest in the Company which included the grist mill and sawmill they built on the north branch of the Rancocas Creek. All of the men owned a selection of the town lots and were solely responsible for the organization and development of the village. They created the employment, built the homes for the employees, and built the roads and bridges which linked their town with the rest of the County. These men exhibited not only consummate business skills but also creative planning skills for a total community by meeting the needs of the people who lived there.
Nearby Towns: Eastampton Twp • Southampton Twp • Springfield Twp • Wrightstown Borough •