Durham Town Hall is located at 15 Newmarket Road, Durham, NH 03824; phone: 603-868-5571.
Durham was first settled beginning about 1699. It was a parish of Dover, known as Oyster River Plantation. It was incorporated as a town in 1732. One account claims that Durham was likely named to honor Richard Barnes, the first Puritan Bishop, Bishop of Durham. Another account suggests that it was named for Durham, Northumberland, England. The Town of Lee was taken off in 1766.
The State agricultural school, originally set up in Hanover, was moved to Durham in 1890 and located on Warner Farm which was the family estate of descendents of Benjamin Thompson, an early settler. The land was bequeathed for the purpose of establishing an agricultural college. In 1923, that college became the University of New Hampshire.