Hampstead Town Hall is located at 11 Main Street, Hampstead NH 03841.
The first measures taken for the formation of Hampstead as a parish was a petition presented to the Governor, Benning Wentworth, and Council signed by 54 residents in 1744.
The first settlement made by white men in Hampstead was made prior to the year 1728 by a Mr. Ford, who is supposed to have been the pioneer. In 1728 a Mr. Emerson settled in the south part of the town. Prior to the division line between the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, this territory was embraced in Amesbury and Haverhill Massachusetts. The charter was granted in 1749 and named after the village of Hampstead, England, a short distance north of London. It included within its grant a portion of Kingston, which created a long dispute between the two towns, which was finally settled by Hampstead paying 1,000£.
[In 1882] the town was well supplied with railway facilities, the Worcester and Nashua road passing the western part. There was a flourishing high school founded by B. D. Emerson. There were two physicians, J. C. Eastman and Benjamin Woodman, and there were 3 post offices, Hampstead (Thomas Foote, postmaster), West Hampstead (J. D. Ordway, postmaster), and East Hampstead (H. S. Martin, postmaster).
The Congregational Church was organized in 1752 with 68 members; its first pastor being Reverend Henry True.
Nearby Towns: Danville Town •